Nilavembu or Chiretta, also called the ‘King of Bitters’ is a medicinal herb used in Siddha formulations for treating several ailments. This potent herb has immune-enhancing properties. Nilavembu is an effective anti-pyretic, anti-inflammatory, digestive, and hepato-protective drug that helps to boost immunity and protect against numerous diseases. It is also considered helpful in treating fever, headache, body ache, and fatigue. Nilavembu is used in medicine preparation in Siddha, Unani, Ayurvedic, Homeopathy, and tribal systems of medicine.
Health Benefits of Nilavembu Kashayam
Nilavembu is usually consumed as a Kashayam or decoction. It is a herbal remedy that helps in boosting immunity and improves overall health.
Here are some of the main benefits of Nilavembu:
- Nilavembu has rich anti-viral and antimicrobial properties. Hence, it helps in managing all kinds of fever such as dengue, typhoid, malaria, influenza, and chikungunya. As an important ingredient of Kabasura Kudineer Chooranam, it also plays an effective role in managing the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It helps to manage blood sugar levels and it is helpful for Diabetic people. It detoxifies the liver and also helps treat liver diseases and cancer.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties make it an effective drug in treating arthritis.
- It has a very bitter taste and is a rich antioxidant with anti-microbial properties. It helps to flush toxins from the blood and is an effective medicine against skin problems like boils and eruptions.
- Nilavembu helps in reducing gastric problems and prevents constipation, bloating, abdominal pain, and aids digestion.
- It helps to treat different kinds of ulcers like mouth ulcers, peptic ulcer, ulcerative colitis etc.
- Nilavembu helps in strengthening heart muscles, helps in treating heart block, blood clots, and reduces cholesterol level & blood pressure.
- Its rich anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic and anti-asthmatic properties makes it an effective drug for cough, cold, flu, and clears lungs of fluid helping to breathe easy.
- Nilavembu acts as a protective shield against infections and aids in faster healing of wounds. It boosts immunity and body strength & relieves fatigue and weakness.
Preparation Of Nilavembu Kashayam
- Boil 3 tablespoons (10 g) of Nilavembu herbal powder in 240 ml of water.
- Strain the concoction.
- Consume 60ml of the decoction twice every day on an empty stomach
- Add jaggery (cane sugar) or honey to boost taste. (Optional)
Dosage To Be Taken
The dosage of Nilavembu to be taken differs for different diseases to reduce the symptoms and severity of the health problem. However, the dosage and administration of the medicine should be recommended by the Siddha physician.
- For Chikungunya:
40ml of Nilavembu Kashayam 2 times every day before meals.
- For Dengue:
30ml of Nilavembu Kashayam along with 10ml of papaya juice twice every day.